bibary vs continuum

>All in all, I'm with you, David: the pop=action and art=thought seems an
>overly simplistic binary. If art tends so much toward thought, then how does
>any of it ever get made?

as stated previuosly: I view this as a continuum not a binary state
(although the concept of dialetic does come to mind but will save that for
future exploration)...statues and furniture are crafts which lie on the
axis somewhere...positioning crafts in museums as "Art" transfers the
context which requires reframing/different modes of reception which
requires thought...
and I agree with Andrei: Webern is the epitome of a composer who uses a
host of rule based, process-driven compositonal devices...Varese is a
different story...the experience of art (appreciation) is always improved
with a deeper knowledge of the work...