Re: [microsound] math anxiety

> Most of my formative musical experiences where on a couch in the living room
> in front of big stereo speakers. I don't know anyone who listens to music
> regularly like that anymore.
> According to my research the car is the
> favourite place of most people to hear music these days, this certanly has a
> great impact on the way music is perceived.

I'd say the main way all my friends and I listen to music is while sitting
at our computers, which is a lot. And that doesn't seem that different
from sitting on a couch in front of some speakers. And there's also a lot
of listening to portable devices while on public transportation or
whatnot. We don't live in a place where it's necessary to drive.

I've thought before about how rarely I sit down and just listen to music
without doing anything else. About the only time I do that is when going
to see a live performance (and I tend to get restless if concerts last
for more than a couple of hours). Or more rarely if I'm analyzing a piece
or actually working on music. I guess once in a while if I'm tired I'll
just lay down and listen to something. But just sitting there staring at
your speakers seems awkward. I feel compelled to do something else at the
same time. Even if I'm watching MTV or whatever I'm still engaged
visually.

I was reading a book (which is quite old) called "Science & Music" by
James Jeans and he brings up a good point which I think ties into this and
is also important to remember when those discussions of how boring live
laptop shows are. He mentions that hearing was the last sense humans
developed and how the other senses were already highly developed by the
time hearing reached its final state. And since the sense of seeing had
already attained so much importance by that point it tends to win out when
the two senses are competing.

Andrei