[no subject]

>and there is the field of sonifications in which
>complex data is represented as sound/music in order
>that this data can be understood in new ways.

>paul

My specialization is in the sonification of scientific data to
enhance the interface between data and interpreter, and increase the
comprehension and familiarity of the datasets. I am also using these
systems as compositional tools.

So far my work has been "Composing for an ensemble of atoms," the article
of which can be found in the journal Organised Sound (Aug, 2001). (Also
you can find it on my PhD project site www.composerscientist.com.) I
literally compose music by simulating a system of particles interacting
with their environment and each other. These pieces (some of which can be
heard at www.mp3.com/BobLSturm) are void of emotion, but rife with awe
(hearing at the atomic scale).

My most recent work is in the sonification of ocean buoy spectral data.
This again creates works which have no emotion.

These systems are neat and curiosities, but certainly give me less musical
satisfaction than really working out a piece for acoustic instruments.

You can find out more about other sonification research at www.icad.org.

-Bob.

--
     ,ooo.