Re: [microsound] Re: articles on minimalism

Strickland's book is comprehensive, if a little concerned with who did what first. 'Out of the Box' by Carter Ratcliff covers the period after minimalism, which is just as interesting if not more so.

-km

On Saturday, August 10, 2002, at 10:14 AM, thesubtlebody wrote:

From: "Patrick Murphy" <PDM2318@xxxxxxxxx>
I am currently doing research for an article on
minimalism (in music,
poetry, aesthetics, etc.)  What are some of the
"essential" writings in
this area??

I am currently reading and enjoying a fine overview of the movement/impulse which gives about equal time to visual arts (esp. painting and sculpture) and music. The book is MINIMALISM:ORIGINS, and the author is Edward Strickland, whose background and writing actually centers more on music. This a refreshing change, and though I get the feeling like the author has a snidely dismissive attitude about what he conceives as "postmodernism", the book still seems fascinating and informative, three-quarters of the way through.

------s

np: Francois Dhomont, LES DERIVES DU SIGNE