Re: [microsound] just a tiny question

anything like these two programs been developed for windows or OS?
lance
www.praemedia.com

 jim altieri wrote:Howdy all,
About his computer generative procedures: In the late-80's, he used two
computer programs, among other stuff, to help him determine compositional
decisions. These programs - tbrack (for his time-bracket pieces) and ic
(for general i ching oracle consulting), were programmed by Andrew Culver.
Several years ago, one could find them on the net with a little searching.
They're simple DOS programs, tbrack.exe and ic.exe. I think the source code
(in BASIC) might actually be in an appendix of MusiCage, but I'm not sure.
I think Cage was very difficult about ownership. I can't remember the
specific circumstances, but he definitely referred to improvisatory
performances of his pieces as "nice, but not my piece". For me, though,
many of his pieces and lectures index the listener's ownership of any
individual musical experience. He kept on putting himself (or letting
others put him) in the role of a guru, so this is why his contradictions
seem so hard to deal with. But, he was an artist - shouldn't we expect
contradictions and doublespeak from artists?
As for what we think of Cage - well, I bet you'll get as many different
answers as you have listmembers. The standard responses are: "He was a
great philosopher, but I don't like his music," "He is the the godfather of
all experimental music ever to happen again," and "Sorry, I don't watch Ally
McBeal." Personally, I like most of his music, don't like some. His
philosophy went really far in pointing out the un-necessity for controlling
or imposing one's intention on a piece of music. But I wish he went
further. People like Pauline Oliveros and Alvin Lucier came to similar
conclusions about chaos and non-intention, but were able to use their
conclusions as creative and liberating springboards, whereas John Cage
seemed to be a bit petulant and nihilistic at times.
What do you all think?
-jim

http://www.tweeg.net