Re: [microsound] [OT][tech talk]linux.audio

>dear list,
>
>going open source isn't nearly so scarey as some people would have you
beleive!
>i got Red Hat 7.3 running on my laptop in one evening, and plan to use
Pure
>Data as my main audio playground.

I'm writing this email from RH 7.3 as well. Still use windows for most
stuff, but wanting to get more and more into Linux.

>there is really a ton of interesting audio
>apps out there [see http://linux-sound.org/ for a start], but i wanted
to ask
>people on this list if they have any personal favorites. i'm looking
for stuff
>to "replace" tools i used in a Win environment, such as:
>
>1) Sample Editor [a la Sound Forge, CoolEdit]

Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net). This also works for Windows
and Mac. Sourceforge is a great place to shop for all kinds of
open-source software, audio and otherwise. See also freshmeat.net.

Also goldwave (www.goldwave.com), though not open source, works well
under wine (the windows emulator). See www.winehq.com for more info on
apps that run well under wine; theres a list on the website that
includes audio apps

>2) Noise Reduction DSP [a la NR plug-ins for above, particularly Cool
Edit's]
>[could this be a CSound object for PD?]
>3) Multi Track Editor [a la Vegas, CuBase, etc]

Only thing i can suggest is multiquence running under wine. multiquence
rocks, but its not open-source.

>4) DJ Mixer [a la Traktor, etc][there's tons of these on Linux-Sound,
has
>anybody tried them?]
>5) Convolution App [a la Hog, Sound Hack, Acoustic Mirror, etc][also a
C Sound
>object, i have been told...]

You could run hog under wine or get someone to port the os x version of
soundhack to linux. there is a convolve opcode in Csnd, but Barry Truax
for one says that the SoundHack implementation is the best he's seen.

>6) Granulator [a la granulation gizmos in Audio Mulch, Granulab]

Amber runs under Linux.

HTH.

ph:L

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
ph!L /thom.son/

http://www3.telus.net/thisisphil/
http://www.sfu.ca/~pthomson/
http://centibel.vze.com/
http://everything.does.it/

speaker/interlocutor (xenophony media, canada)
scan (s'agita, italy)
synat (acidfake, macedonia)

Get the FREE email that has everyone talking at
http://www.mail2world.com