From: Andrey Kiritchenko <nexsound@xxxxxxx>
To: microsound <microsound@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, October 21, 2002 3:24 AM
Subject: Re: [microsound] stolen silence

> yes :(
> yesterday we tried to record how i breath on the phone for 10 sec intro
track,
> but i needed to do it very loud, cause those lowercase sounds from another
side are taken off

> >You don't hear silences on the phone anymore. They've got this
time-sharing thing on long-distance lines where you make a pause and they
snip out that piece of time and use it to carry part of somebody else's
conversation. Instead of a pause, where somebody's maybe breathing or
sighing, you get this blank hole and you only start hearing again when
someone says a word and even the beginning of the word is clipped off.
Silences don't count -- you're paying for them, but they take them away from
you