Issue-based works

Hi

I was wondering if anyone out there is creating microsound works dealing
directly with specific political or social issues, and if so I'm curious to
hear what the results are.

The reason I'm interested is this 'unknown favourites' thread got me
thinking about the music in my collection which I found really stimulating
over the last year or two. For example, the works which spring to mind
immediately are Ultra-Red's Structural Adjustments and Random_Inc's
Jerusalem CD's. The Ultra Red CD especially deals with a specific political
issue (gentrification, to over simplify) and does so within the music
itself. There is also an accompanying text, but you can 'get the message'
from the music alone.

It's that kind of work which interests me, as opposed to work which relies
on an accompanying (con)text to explain its significance - an example being
Atau Tanaka's piece '9m14s Over Vietnam' on the End ID compilation from
Digital Narcis, which uses metasynth to create a piece from the famous
photograph of the naked girl running from a napalm attack. While this is an
interesting piece of music, it relies absolutely on the lenghty text in the
booklet explaining it.

I can't think of much more in the line of Ultra-Red, though some of
Alejandra and Aeron's (very nice) stuff kind of fits in there - the Haunted
Folklore series for example.

Anyone know of anything else?

Mark

--