Re: [microsound] FIELD

On a recent thread, the topic of field came up. I was foolish in not noting what I needed when this thread was happening. They say revelation comes afterward. What I am interested in is writing that discusses the idea of field in terms of modern composition - not only music but also in visual arts. I would like to include thinking about "field" recording in a residency i am involved in. Could some one please remind me of some thinkers, artists or works I could consider in relation to my request.

Thanks for your time,
arden

Hello Arden,

I was the culpret that started the feild thread, a book of note would be "Painting as Model" by Yve-Alain Bois.

The idea of feild painters is of much interest to me. Someone mentioned Pollack not being a field painter, that he was only an action painter, right and wrong. Granted he was about the action, its kinda funny to also realize he framed his unstreched canvas to find the painting after the action. If it was only about action, then the object would need not exist. One of the primary characteristics of Field painting is momumental scale and on fixed focal point, actually one big idea behind field painting is that the veiwer becomes the vantage point (persceptive is inverted). One might also look at Newman, it becomes almost impossible to focus on a zip and the backgound simultaniously, very interesting if one tries to releate these concepts to sound. Seems the best solution might only exist in some sort of audio instillation.

just my 2 cents.

-scott