RE: [microsound] influence vs. replica

J Larsen wrote:

the digital way of making music is more indirect than other forms. a
computer with its neanderthal human interface will act as a filter of
the composers intentions, in reality enforce a strict limitation on the
composing process and detach the composer from the listener.

this is a bunch of hooey.

as a composer, how do you even know what my intentions are? if my intentions
are to look at a waveform and act on that waveform based on what i see, what
more "direct" way to realize my intentions than with a computer, in spite of
its "neanderthal human interface".

i have no musical background at all. requiring me to compose with some
traditional process imposes a much stricter "limitation on the composing
process" than any computer ever did. with a computer in my hands i have
become a composer and producer of music (perhaps to the dismay of some
unsuspecting listeners out there).

and as far as being detached from said listeners, your statement confuses
me. if i were forced to compose something by writing down notes on paper for
a bunch of physical instruments, how does that better connect me to a
listener? as it is, i can compose something, produce it, and distribute it,
all within that same neanderthal interface, and have listeners from around
the world send me feedback on my work that very evening. how does that
qualify as "detached"?

i am happy that you are now seeking your inspiration elsewhere. i hope they
have better laptops there.