physical filter

> I'm afraid I don't understand.  is this liberation from the perspective
> of a performer, that the physicality of an instrument takes away from
> the real-time thinking you can do about the music?
no...I'm describing the 'filter' of having to translate musical ideas into
physical actions required to play a traditional instrument...laptops remove
this filter and this is part of what people feel they're missing out on in
the 'exchange value' involved in a musical performance...too busy to go in
detail...

> if the latter is your concern, you could always hide your gestures
> behind a black curtain.
the act of adding a black curtain is just another form of spectacle...its
calling attention to the wrong aspect of the performance...adding a black
curtain (curious that you chose a 'black' curtain) is just as useless as
projecting my laptop so the audience can better 'understand' what I'm
doing...

> an improvement in interface design does not
> necessitate a change in what you present to the audience, does it?
it depends on the 'improvements' made to the interface doesn't it? think:
MIDI ball <urgh!>
http://home.earthlink.net/~sabean2/performance.html