RE: [microsound] physical filter

Yeah, the age old "problem" people have with laptop performance and the
physicality of the performer. To me, I'm more easily bored by gestural
performances whether it be traditional instruments or "innovative"
controllers (think drek as Matmos rubs their little pen on their skin,
yawn).=20

My performances are always changing to fit the date and location of
where I'm playing. I use video/films created prior to and specifically
for the venue I'm in that relate specifically to the songs. Total
sensory emmersion? Hardly, but at least there is a forethought and
"filter" that enables the viewer to feel as if there is something
specific happening.

In the end it all depends on what you want to see, physicality or
ambience or cinema or site-specific happenings. But I can honestly say
that I get irked when musicians who create in a non-linear,
non-traditional way always feel the need to cowtow to some notion that
the audience MUST LOOK AT YOU and be entertained (and the inverse as
well ie. black curtain).

do you really need to tweak that laptop? do you really need to even be
present?