[microsound] ambient books/Perec

| I have just finished reading 'Life, A Users Manual' by Georges Perec which
| would seem to me to squeeze somewhat into an ambient category. The whole
book
| reads like a slow pan through every room in a french apartment block,
| focusing in upon the microdetails of all the objects in each space. Any
| characters in the book are frozen in a kind of still life and the story is
| told through the relationships between the occupants of the rooms and the
| contents therein.

A fantastic book, Rob and constructed along very mathematical/ordered lines,
as is much of Perec's work - the "knight's tour" of the 10x10 grid that is
the apartment block is so subtle, you'd hardly know it exists.  Ties us back
into the discussion about the OuLiPo, Queneau and the use of mathematics in
art/literature.

Brian
http://i-ii.org