Re: [microsound] memory and melody

--0-1300013113-1037413541=:53830

Dont we remember rhythm too? break beats etc? funky drummer?

>>yeah, i sort of hinted at that in my first message. it still seems to me that melody leaves a stronger imprint than a particular drum pattern. i think i lot of us can beat box certain rhythms, but when i think of a pop song for instance, i have a much harder time recalling a particular break than the hook. thats probably why a pop song is built around the hook rather than a break.

a lot of dance music is opposite though. built around breaks and beats. drum and bass and techno are obvious references. it seems like the rhythms tap into something different as far as our cognition goes. i associate melody with emotion and mood: suspense, love, pathos, etc. beats dont seem to do that for me.

maybe we remember melody easier because it has a strong affective connection?

v'