Re: [microsound] Linux questions Michal Seta Off topic

hi ross,

not to butt in, but...

i ain't the biggest expert [in fact, i am almost a total newbie :-) ], but i
have been spending quite a bit of time in the same getting-into-linux process,
and these are the few couple of tips i can offer right now:

1) red hat is easy to install, but in the same way as windows is... it gives
you a hell of a lot of what you don't want, and makes it difficult to customize.

2) don't know about mandrake, but debian is the exact opposite from RH: gives
you only what you want, but after quite a struggle. great if you wanna know
EVERYTHING about your computer... think about it a bit like a craftsman that
understands his or her tool completely, rather than a weekend hobbiest diddling
around with nuts and bolts.

3) gentoo is supposed to be a very well developed distro. but then again a
gentoo developer whispered that in my ear last weekend... :-)

4) last and MOST IMPORTANT: if you are a multimedia artist [and i know you
are!], you may want to check out the DeMuDi. this is a Debian-based distro
designed specifically for artists [more specifically--for sound artists] that
is due for 1.0 release nov 30. all the sound packages and drivers will be
included native, and it also gives you a chance to participate in something
that Linux specializes in: a user-driven development community [ps.. i know
from the Audio Mulch list that this is also something you dig...]

see: http://www.demudi.org/

good luck!
d.