[SF] [Fri Dec 13] Field Effects 8

Special note:  this Tuesday I'll be doing a collaborative set
with Matt Davignon of Tape Recorder at Under the Radar's
electro-improv night at 26mix in the Mission; 26th & Mission.

As always, apologies for the deep cross-posting... what to do!?

----------[ Quiet American presents at 964 Natoma ]--------------------

Field Effects 8: concrete origins

Friday, December 13th
Doors 8pm
964 Natoma, San Francisco, CA (USA)

$6-10 requested sliding donation,
no one turned away for lack of funds.

----> Event Description <----------------------------------------------

The world makes music, remember to listen.

Field Effects 8 offers a night of field recording-based art.

The eighth in a series of concerts showcasing the use of found
materials and field recordings in media art, Field Effects 8
brings together artists using found and documentary materials in
ways firmly rooted in their concrete qualities. Subtle manipulation
in favor of total dislocation; taking us to the moment an event is
is framed.

Field Effects 8 features work by artists:

  eso steel (new zealand)

    New Zealander Richard Francis has been recording under the name
    Eso Steel since 1996, focusing for the majority of time on the
    collection, manipulation and arrangement of field recordings.
    Various earlier works incorporated instrumental drones and cd
    samples along with source sounds. From 1998-2001, Richard lived
    in Tokyo, recording, performing live and running his label 20city,

    In 2002 he began a new label, cmr operating from NZ. His last two
    solo releases: 'Technology of Sleep' LP (20city, New Zealand) and
    'Two Ways' 7" (Drone Records, Germany) display a minimal approach
    to source sound processing and composition, using a combination of
    natural and mechanical source recordings from chosen environments.

    	http://www.cmr.co.nz

  joe colley (sacramento)

    Joe Colley is a self-taught visual and sound artist based in
    Sacramento, CA. For over ten years he has investigated audio
    phenomena through field recordings and electronics, recently
    focusing on building sound mass from layers of simplistic
    material. His work, much under the name crawl unit, has been
    released on record labels worldwide. In 1989, he founded povertech
    industries, a label releasing soundart from many international
    artists.

    Colley has performed and created installations throughout the US,
    Europe and Japan and at festivals including Activating the Medium
    (SF MoMA, SF,CA), beyond music 3 (Venice, CA), ceait (CalArts,
    Valencia, CA), observatori 00 (valencia, spain), phonotaktik02
    (Vienna, Austria) and songlines (Mills College, Oakland, CA).

    His most recent releases are the "anthem" minicd (cip, Chicago),
    "sound until the world ends" lp (ers/staalplaat, Amsterdam), and
    the "knowing when to not know" minicd, a collaboration with
    Francisco Lopez (antifrost, Greece). A new full length cd is
    forthcoming from Auscultare Research (SF).

  jon schainker (boulder creek)

    In March 2001, Bay Area musicians and filmmakers Jon Schainker,
    Simon Cheffins, and Toshio Omori were invited by Bachir Attar of
    the Master Musicans of Jajouka to attend the sacred Aid El Kabir
    festival in the remote northern Morrocco village of Jajouka. Once
    a year the musicians summon the goat god Pan, or Boujeloud, from
    his hill cave dwelling to lash revelers and claim his once-promised
    bride. The opportunity to document the Master Musicians was a rare
    honor; their music is believed to hold curitive powers bestowed
    upon the musicans by a saint buried in the village. Today the music
    of the musicians is both a mystery and an inspiration to many an
    ear outside of Morrocco.

    The filmmakers returned to the Bay Area with nearly 20 hours of
    video footage and recordings, with intention of producing a feature
    length documentary; but in the post-9/11 climate have been unable
    to raise funds. As a result the project has been on hold until now.

    Tonight's screening allows the first glimpse of footage and audio
    recordings gathered by the filmmakers in Jajouka and northern
    Morrocco in the spring of 2001. It is a rare look into a world we
    are encouraged to see as simply part of 'an enemy.'

    The filmmakers hope that by sharing this footage, they may foster
    interest in funding a feature-length documentary dedicated to
    preserving a rare and ancient musical tradition on the brink of
    extinction.

   	http://www.jajouka.com     (on the Master Musicians)
   	jonschainker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx   (Jajouka film project)

  milton cross (sf)

    Bay Area composer Milton Cross writes of "in the hands of god",
    the work he will present, "One intention in making field
    recordings was to stimulate and develop a type of recollection
    distinctly different from pictures, one that activates many senses
    at once. Listening to a sound often causes me to remember a smell,
    or how I felt at a particular moment...

    "When I began work on this piece, I decided against arranging sound
    in any of the obvious structures: chronology, type, location, etc.
    I started by picking one sound that I particularly liked - church
    bells ringing in Cuenca, Ecuador - and did my best to allow the
    piece to take its own shapeby placing sounds that made musical
    sense, for whatever reason, to my ear. With no pre-conceived
    structure, the piece slowly formed itself.

    The work is constructed from recordings made during two trips to
    South America seven years apart. Its four movements (city, country,
    moving, and speaking) contain original, raw recordings without
    additional processing. In addition to the people that are heard,
    there are  recordings of many animals: a galapagos seal and her
    pup, taguas gigantes, masked and blue-footed boobies, crickets..."

    Milton Cross has been playing the violin since the age of 4. He
    studied at the Oberlin Conservatory, the Curtis Institute, the
    Aspen Music Festival, and the Julliard School. In recent years,
    Milton has experimented with many musical styles; he has played
    with numerous  bands in New York and San Francisco, and was a
    co-founder of the band Alfred. He currently plays with groove-noir
    ensemble Laughingstock.

    	http://www.epitonic.com/artists/laughingstock.html

The Field Effects series showcases artists who are interested in
framing the hidden beauty of the everyday world: beauty on the
surface, awaiting our attention. Beauty that must be delicately
extracted. And beauty in potential, awaiting juxtaposition,
collage, repetition and mutilation.

Seating mostly on futons to encourage comfortable deep listening
and viewing.

Depending on weather, hot or cold drinks will be available on a
donation-based honor system. Hopefully someone will make cookies.

964 Natoma
San Francisco, CA, USA

Between Mission and Howard, 10th and 11th street, south of market.
A few blocks from Civic Center BART, or the corner of Market & Van
Ness. Bike parking inside.

This message is not for print distribution or advertising.
This is a private event for friends, family and our community.

Questions? Write ghede@xxxxxxxxx