Re: [microsound] CD vs CDR, again

> Hello,
> Having now read more about it, it sounds like the main reason that
> a CD and a CDR can contain bit-identical data, yet still sound
> different, is the problem of jitter. CD players, especially
> cheaper ones, have more jitter problems w. CDRs, and even a small amount of
> jitter is perceptible. However, this is perhaps a problem that will be
> solved in the relatively near future, rendering the difference between the
> two nil. Afterall, the problem boils down to this: 1) get a string of
> numbers from one disk 2) put the exact same string of numbers on another
> disk 3) deliver the exact same string of numbers to the D/A converters of
> the sound system...This shouldn't be impossible...
> cheers,
> Michael

So has anyone gone out on a limb and ventured to report percentages.
Like what percent of people can actually hear this? What percent find
the audible sound unacceptable in comparison. How much more problem with
additional jitter is there on average with CD-R over jitter with CDs.
What percent of playback units succumb to what human listeners call
unacceptable playback? And just to be smart, who's to say its not making
microsound sound better in a way that say dance music can benefit from
vinyl delivery rather than CD delivery...

Can anyone qualitative rank this issue in comparison with a non-CD-R in
various different players and playback situations. Like can someone say
perception of jitter produced sounic differences are more evident than
perception of differences between playback units... like what should be
of greater concern?

Just curious, does anyone out there in their apparent refusal to rely on
CD-R sound, refuse to use them to listen test a mastered work in stages
prior to manufacture in fear that they may be led astray.  Are there
people rejecting manufactured CDs because either they sound different
from CD-Rs or they were unable to verify the sound was good in the first
place since, as this theory seems to go,  they might have had limited
crucial listening to the mastered material prior to the manufacture of a
CD ... now I'm not talking about manufacturing slip-ups or outright
corruptions that make one reject a manufactured run, I'm talking
supposedly bit identical data not sounding right or second thoughts of
how a work was mastered because the final mastering wasn't auditioned enough.

nicholas d. kent