Re: [microsound] MAP Series Guest Lecture: Ian Andrews

Hi Dagmar,

Thanks for your comments.  I agree with just about everything you have said.
 But I would argue that the return to pure art, and the aesthetics of the
glitch are not mutually exclusive.  First of all I don't think that the
foregrounding of the materiality of the glitch must neccessarily entail a
return to pure art.  Rather it is the accompanying direction of minimalist
reduction, the exclusion of all other elements, that tends toward purity.
And even then it might not be such a bad thing as long as it can keep well
away from the kind of essentialism espoused by Greenberg, Bazin, etc. But
can it?  Next I would argue that its possible for there to be an art which
is concerned with the foregrounding of errors and material process which is
pure (such as in the case of structural-materialist film) or hybrid (such
as in the case of Godard, Brecht, etc.)  I know that these comparisons with
film don't quite fit because music is not concerned with representaion as
such. But I do think that much of the writing around these issues  (Wollen,
Heath, Michaelson, Krauss, etc.) has some value in regard to music

I find your refernce to Lacan's category of the 'real' quite interesting
here.  I've never really thought about aleatory and random processes that
way before. It makes perfect sense that the use of these processes to
transcend subjective boundaries and thus bypass aesthetic judgements
(expression) would have some kind of appeal to the 'real.' But as long as
the 'real' is not understood as some transcendental signified - some sort
of 'truth' beyond human understanding - a  common tendency of the 20th
century avant-gardes.

best,

ian

>Hi Ian,
>
>eventually managed to read your article.  It helped to sort a few things
>out, but after while even more questions formed themselves.
>
>Sorry, if I just rave on:
>Is the aesthetic of the glitch, the modulations, the 'errors' of the
>material processes really a return to pure art? Is it not rather an attempt
>to reach the 'real' (forever unreachable according to Lacan) in the slips
>and folds of illusionary reality (reality as a social and imaginative
>construction; the glitch as an eruption of the real, the non-human,
>non-intentional).

 The use of aleatoric  elements as a device to invite the

Ian Andrews
Metro Screen
Sydney

Email: i.andrews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx