Re: [microsound] MAP Series Guest Lecture: Ian Andrews

I haven't had a chance to sit down and look at Ian's article in detail
yet, but I will soon.  I just wanted to respond to some of this.

dbuchwald wrote:

>  Could it be that it depends on the
>narrowness of the system what appears as "glitch" (in the sense of error or dirt in
>the system)?  Maybe if the system is too clean, the probability of 'errors'
>multiplies.  But they are errors only from the narrow perspective of the overclean
>system.  Would foregrounding of the glitch destabilize the overclean systems, expose
>their vulnerability?  Or is it the beginning of a broader perspective, of a less
>exclusive system?

I like this configuration of things because I want to theorize glitch
aesthetics through the work of Georges Bataille.  I see glitch as part
of the accursed share, of expenditure, of technological production and
process.  That which technology refuses to accept and admit.  In
essence, glitch is the waste product of technology.  Microsound
musicians are playing with its feces, recuperating it from the sewer,
not so much to privilege it, which would throw us back into the problem
of representation, a profanation of the sacred, by simply reversing the
order of the hierarchy, but to simply take it into account, to give it
its due.  Glitch is aural abjection, which has left the realm of the
abject as object and become the "informe" or formless.  By its very
nature, it resists theorization.  But it's always there, always
inserting itself unacceptably into the normative, always finding a space
to emerge.  Glitch is the surplus of technological production, the
expenditure that such production constantly refuses.

>Now of all the terms we used here I most distinctly dislike "avant-garde" because it
>still transports the idea of a progress or progression of history where you can be
>in front or in back.

Aligned too much with Hegel, indeed.  The only place to go for an
"avantgarde" that remains is outside the prevailing codes where it is
still permitted.  the avantgarde is now a trope.  It's a style.  A
category.  Which by definition it could never have become.  So the only
place to go is in spaces like electroacoustic improv or perhaps sine
wave experiments or other such areas in more of a compositional space.
 In E/A improv you have a continuation of the inventiveness of improv
but at the same time a complete abandonment of normative aesthetic
production.  People play acoustic instruments in very unacceptable ways.
 It's a music that admits a mimesis of glitch electronically and
acoustically.  It recuperates something of the avantgarde, while
undermining its avantgardeness by its refusal of the categories of "high
modernist" musicianship.  But interestingly, the people who talk about
it are completely wedded to the language of aesthetic romanticism,
artist as ubermensch.  And they ceaselessly invoke the Kantian category
of judgment--always evaluating but rarely ever analyzing, particularly
in a cultural sense.

>In terms of musical development I am also very suspicious of ideas of historical
>progression; thus "avant-garde"?  Too much caught up in ideas of originality,
>Romantic conceptions of the artist as genius standing alone, too modern.

Agreed.  the avantgarde must be critiqued completely to get rid of this
kind of bad aestheticism and evaluative reactivism.