Re: [microsound] points & clicks

hi david.

"...this is why i think the click only makes sense as a sample, an object
that was generated indirectly
by another"

I really agree with this concept; in the musical aspect of it, i want to
make some specifications that, in my opinion, would add more complexity to
this topic:

1.
I think about points and clicks as two different objects: the difference
lays all in terms of direction: i mean, if you start from a line and cut it
again and again, you'll find clicks (a "part-of" entity); if you want to
build a line, you must start from points (a "complex completeness" entity).

2.
The fact you can use clicks as points to build a line, tells you that the
completness of a point is set by your intention to use it that way.

3.
Are there "natural" points too? Is a line (a melody) really a succession of
points? Is a melody a line? I don't think so..

4.
A point as a complex completeness means that you want to conceive it as a
wholeness, not formed by parts; i think a drum loop can be taken as a point,
but doing so i must conceive that a point is fluent, not solid, not coherent
in its whole.

Last.
A summary: points, to build up somethig more complex; clicks, the result of
cutting; both of them are products of will to conceiving them so.
I think there are no musical points, nor musical natural points, nor music
natural clicks: it's all human.

rcf.