Re: [microsound] neo-modermism

> > The task of the new generation
> > is to integrate the two paradigms of the twentieth century: (1) belief in
> > science and rationality, emphasis on efficiency, basic forms, idealism and
> > heroic spirit of modernism; (2) skepticism, interest in "marginality" and
> > "complexity," deconstructive strategies, baroque opaqueness and excess of
> > post-modernism (1960s-). At this point all the features of the second
> paradigm
> > became tired clich=E9s. Therefore a return to modernism is not a bad
> first step,
> > as long as it is just a first step towards developing the new
> aesthetics for
> > the new age.

political manifesto?  marketing handbook?

> > Lev Manovich - "Generation Flash"

oh, it's just a poster boy.

>I would be much less bothered by a return to Klee et all than to the sort
>of modernist
>theoretical underpinnings that Manovich attempts to resuscitate.

ah, klee.  all that looks forbidding & impossible in the aesthetics of
modern art, looks straightforward & feasible in klee's hands.  he totally
destroys the magic.  i love it.

ah, 'new'.  all that is newer than new is in fact connected to the older
than old.  do i need to quote frye again?

ah, art.  art is work for the sake of work.  where did all the fools go?

have a nice day
~ david

===

BONUS MINI-POST:

From: david turgeon <dt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: postmodern poll!

who's the greatest postmodern artist of the past century?  i would say
george herriman, who's with me?  bye, ~d