Tape recorder techniques

I have some questions about the different
techniques in manipulation of the magnetic
tape. Me and a friend is currently working
with splicing and cutting tape. We utilize
these ways of manipulating; change of speed,
direction, and delay. Here in his studio, we
have only one tape recorder right now, an
old 2 track. However, I am aware of effects,
like reverb, made by the use of tape loops
only. I would like to ask how this is done,
and also how many tape recorders would be
the minimum for this and similar effects
that is possible with the use of tape.
The only sound sources for this piece we are
planning and setting up for recording, is
the sound of 7 glasses with different
amounts of water, resonanting, and then we
put the glasses on a hard surface; the
surface is connected with two contact mics,
one for each channel -left and right. What
type of surface would be best fitted for
this? We are thinking of a thick glass
surface... Any help and/or comments on all
of this will be highly appreciated. Thanks!

-Kasper