Re: [microsound] Tape recorder techniques

Hi Phil
 - Ah thanks! This way of getting a reverb
effect is purely acustic and quite great for
this project because we will not use effect
processors at all. The effects we will use
have to be made without the use of effect
processors etc. About the filtering method,
we have made some recordings where we put a
small contact mic into an empty wine
decanter, gained it, and breathed, whispered
and talked into the decanter. That gave a
quite weird effect.

-Kasper

> don't know how to do reverb with tape
loops. You may be thinking of echo
> which is made by playing with the time
delay between the record and
> playback heads. If you have two tape
recorders, you can make longer
> delays, Robert-Fripp-style. Also I read
once how Pauline Oliveros once
> made tape music and used paper towel rolls
as filters and played sounds
> into the bathtub to get reverb. There are
lots of ways to get
> interesting effects without outboard
effects units.

> ph
>

> >I have some questions about the different
> >techniques in manipulation of the
magnetic
> >tape. Me and a friend is currently
working
> >with splicing and cutting tape. We
utilize
> >these ways of manipulating; change of
speed,
> >direction, and delay. Here in his studio,
we
> >have only one tape recorder right now, an
> >old 2 track. However, I am aware of
effects,
> >like reverb, made by the use of tape
loops
> >only. I would like to ask how this is
done,
> >and also how many tape recorders would be
> >the minimum for this and similar effects
> >that is possible with the use of tape.
> >The only sound sources for this piece we
are
> >planning and setting up for recording, is
> >the sound of 7 glasses with different
> >amounts of water, resonanting, and then
we
> >put the glasses on a hard surface; the
> >surface is connected with two contact
mics,
> >one for each channel -left and right.
What
> >type of surface would be best fitted for
> >this? We are thinking of a thick glass
> >surface... Any help and/or comments on
all
> >of this will be highly appreciated.
Thanks!

> >-Kasper
> :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
:::::
> Phil Thomson
>
> http://www3.telus.net/thisisphil/
> http://centibel.vze.com/