Re: [microsound] need shortwave radios for Cage piece

I was involved in a performance a few years ago, and we used AM.

AM Radios usually cover 540 kHz to 1600 kHz. Often older radios, even those
handheld transistor radios from the 70s and 80s, use 54 - 160 on the dial,
chopping off the extra 0. So the score is a smaller range inside of the AM
range. I was involved in a performance a few years ago which used AM radios.

Of course, shortwave has some nice static, which could make for a good
performance, but the radios themselves can be harder to find. You'd probably
want to use 5500 to 15600 on a shortwave radio. Shortwave frequencies are
usually considered those from the upper end of the AM broadcasting band, 1700
kHz, up to 30 MHz.

Also, some of the jumps in the cage scores are pretty large, and the wider band
of the shortwave could make for some difficulty in gettting from A to B in the
time required by the score - although that might escape detection by the
audience...

Good luck.
michaelb

www.aesova.org