Re: [microsound]mickey mouse (was fmsbwtözäu!)

Yeah, this depressing news was the first thing that greeted me this
morning when I opened my browser to slashdot. I don't know why I had
expected any other result... blind, naive optimism, I guess. For those
who haven't followed the Eldred case, Larry Lessig (my personal hero)
argued to the supreme court that congress had violated the spirit of the
original copyright law in enacting - repeatedly - legislation to
lengthen the copyright term (it's now at author's life plus 70 years, I
believe). If I understand the opinion handed down by the supreme court,
they say even though congress keeps making the term longer, they haven't
technically done away with the limit. Of course, nothing's to stop
congress from passing a new extension to copyrights every time they're
about to expire... oh, there's a limit alright, we'll just never reach
it. The whole thing is so infuriating.

And, as if I wasn't already sick to my stomach, as few posts later on
slashdot was some dumbass saying that the creative commons was is based
on a strikingly naive 60's-retro ideological view of how content
intermediaries function and that publishers (i think he's in the
publishing industry) provide an essential filtering system to the stream
of crap that writers produce. Yes, he actually says that all writing is
crap and publishers refine it until it's worthwhile. Imagine if this
were applied to music (which the creative commons license also covers):
so all music is crap unless it gets a stamp of approval from the music
industry?

These two reads, coming back to back, make me just quiver with rage.

Here are some links:

the content is crap article:
http://www.techcentralstation.com/1051/techwrapper.jsp?PID=1051-250&CID=1051-011303A

the crative commons:
http://www.creativecommons.org/

and my hero:
http://www.lessig.org/

It sounds so trite and cliché, but it's never been so true: fight the power!