Re: [microsound] recording hardware

> They dont allow the use of Minidisc f=F6r field recording due to the side
> effects and interactions you get when using lossy comression (the
> minidisc uses ATRAC) first in recording and then in transmission.

I wonder when that policy was decided on ~ the first few generations of
ATRAC were much worse than the recent ones...

> So if you are recording stuff for treatment and distortion it might not
> matter. But if you are recording entire performances and think
> MP3-release you might think again.

In my experience recording on MD then compressing to high bit rate MP3
produces no more discernible artifacts than any other source. There are
hours of recordings on my site compressed this way, anyone who is
considering this route should take a listen and decide whether any
compounding of artifacts in a disagreeable way will be an issue.

Incidentally, I agree with the opinion that consumer MD is no replacement
for professional gear ~ but it is much cheaper, easily available, and
extremely portable/battery efficient... as always the challenge seems to
be to articulate accurately what one's goals and needs really are.

Best,

 aaron

  ghede@xxxxxxxx
  http://www.quietamerican.org