RE: [microsound] industry loses big

------=_NextPart_000_338EF_01C2C184.1F663130

"when people talk about 'pirates', we should remember that the music
industry is the biggest pirate of all, and has been from the very
beginning. Who created the possibility of duplicating and distributing
music, if not the record industry itself? You will find the same thing
happening at each stage of the technology's evolutionary development -
the record industry shoots itself in the foot. One arm is producing
music and complaining that technology is making it easier to steal that
music, while the other arm is producing the very technology that it
claims to be damaging its interests. This was true for cassettes, this
was true for CDs, and it is true again for the Internet. Napster is of
marginal importance here. Gnutella or Aimster were born within the
industry. Both came out of AOL and they escaped like a virus that
escapes a laboratory. They try to prevent it, but they can't."

Jacques Attali, 2001.
full text at: http://www.sinologic.com/newmusic/sub/attali.html

Get the FREE email that has everyone talking at
http://www.mail2world.com