Re: [microsound] re: mp3 redux

You have nothing to apologize for; there was little, if any, redundancy
in your post. To the contrary, I found it quite the refreshing expansion
of the topic to more universal notions. And, despite the misguided
ramblings of trolls who fail to grasp your point, I think you've nudged
this thing closer to the real heart of the matter: Capitalism is stupid.
There, I said it. Oh, it works fine in certain limited, idealistic
cases, but the entire human race is neither.

There has been a nagging, gnawing notion in my gut since I was a child:
that this whole "grab-everything-that-you-can" imperative is not just
illogical, it's ultimately immoral. I might be going out on a limb here,
but I would think that a list of experimental electronic musicians would
be able to sympathize. We, as artists, should not be indignant that
someone wants to experience our art without shelling out; we should be
indignant that our society is organized so that we starve if they
don't... and, so that all of our endeavors only have as much worth as
monetary value can be attached to them.

I think ultimately what is at the heart of the intellectual property
issue is that, deep down, most people don't buy it (heh, pardon the
pun). People don't see the harm in circumventing the societal construct
that ideas cost money. As someone once said: information wants to be
free. Even a lot of staunch supporters of IP wouldn't bat an eye at
"borrowing" someone else's idea. It seems darkly ironic that we base our
society around supply and demand and yet we are constantly working to
create infinite supply. Also that everyone's supposed to find their
niche, their work, and yet we are constantly making jobs obsolete. And,
as you pointed out, that the primary result of this comptetition, this
glorious free market that we're so in love with, is the unrestrained
pilfering of the planet's resources.

I wonder if this slow motion rebellion against the ownership of ideas
could someday lead to the collapse of property in general. I can dream,
can't I?

(As a disclaimer, I should point out that I don't have any brilliant
alternatives to suggest. Indeed, as I tend towards the nihilistic, I
think of such ideas as mere observations. Kind of like sitting on the
deck of the Titanic, taking notes as she goes down.)