Re: nature stuff

>Humans are the more dominant species making other animals and
>living organisms obsolete.

no way.  we're just bigger and talk a lot.  believe me, I'm an American, I
know about that stuff :)

>Mankind's only hope of not destroying the environment is the
>advancement of technology.

our only hope is the advancement of our minds.  our hands are just meat if
they cannot grasp.

>...defines 'evil'.  I've never felt comfortable with
>that concept.
[and]
>threw in the term "evil", although I feel
>uncomfortable about that word,

I keep trying to convince myself of that, then I see or read something
about President Bush and his Klan, and I just fail.  Everytime.  Like this:

White Houz chief of staff Andrew Card, on NBC's Meet the Press, talks sense
about Bush's economic plan:

"There's a sausage machine on Capitol Hill," he said. "We gave the sausage
machine all of the right ingredients, they have to churn, and I'm confident
that when they turn that sausage out it'll be the right kind of sausage for
America."

Now tell me that's not plain-and-simple-undeniable Evil.
--------------------
Ok, and also (I'm catching up on some microsound list reading, in case you
can't tell), I don't think the mp3 stealing discussion has brought to light
an important part of the material  aspect of theft.  When you "steal" music
by downloading an mp3, I don't think one is necessarily morally impaired.
The thing that has sucked about stealing for thousands and thousands of
years  is that when you steal an object, you deprive another person of that
object, and so there's this very direct, highly personal, one-to-one
relationship between the theif and the robbed. that simply DOES NOT exist
with music "theft" which is why the cry of "stop theif" really don't
resonate with peoples morality as strongly as, say, looting.

>> But, I would be interested in hearing why people choose the sounds
>> that they do, or if there are compositional tools/formulas/methods
>> that people prefer.

rational hypnosis is a phrase that's floated around my mind, trying to
describe what I do.  I like to get into a soup of logistics that opens up
new sounds from existing, disparate sources.

pete

"I know I made mistakes. So has everybody else."
  -Stanley Roberts