the audience is listening

The pHarmanaut wrote:

> At any rate, it's amazing how those responses that try to articulate
> something (hopefully) worthwhile are pretty much generally ignored (I'm
> thinking of my conversations with Tobias and a very few others) while the
> smallest piece of self-promo or t-shirt design generates hours upon hours of
> useless vitriol, back-biting, and generally insipid wastes of bandwidth.

Trace, et al.,

Add me to the list of those who listen/read very carefully to all of the solid
posts.  With many of them, I try to track down the books or texts mentioned so
that I can start bringing myself up to speed with regard to the theory/ideas
being discussed.  Often I won't post anything, since I'm still digesting
everything and don't feel I have anything pertinent to contribute to the thread
at that time.  I print out the relevant e-mails, and try to get to them when I
have some time to really read and understand them thoroughly.

For example, based on one of your last posts, I found Kittler's _Gramophone,
Film, Typewriter_, and am trying to carve out time to read it.  However, through
another post I discovered Simon Emmerson's _Music, Electronic Media, and
Culture_, so that is really turning me on right now, especially with my current
preoccupation with sounds and their seen or hidden sources on my soundwalks.

I'm still trying to assimilate the Mike Shannon thread from a while back.

So, speaking for myself, just because I don't respond, it doesn't mean I'm not
listening.  I've been on the microsound list for a few years now (I think one of
the first posts I read was from Sony Mao), and the noise has definitely gotten
worse recently.  But, for me, getting to the juicy stuff is worth sorting
through the pap.

Please, keep the worthwile discussion flowing.

G.