Re: [microsound] Nagoya Steve

> probably be okay.  Also don't get offended if he says
> things like "I am not aware of any radical music
> beiong made now" or "No, I didn't learn anything in
> Africa.  Everything I needed to know about Africa I
> learned from reading a book."  He said these things
> and more in Berkeley like two years ago.  And he told
> me that if I wanted to listen to John Cage I should go
> home and listen to John Cage (I had asked a question
> and had not mentioned John Cage at all).  Anyway, I'd
> probably go home and listen to Steve Reich, except he
> put me out to such and extent that I didnt really want
> to.

my favorite at that berkeley Q & A was :

reich : "let me make it clear. anymore, i don't give a damn about gradual
process in music !"

then why did you talk for and hour and 1/2 about "come out" and excerpt text
from section 1, "music as a gradual process" of your book "writing on music"
?

by now he's probably sick of people talking about the "old work" but feels
like he has to do it for art historical purposes ? i don't know.

reich (1968, from above text) : "(by music as a gradual process) i don't
mean the process of composition, but rather pieces of music that are,
literally, processes."
and
"... i'm interested in a compositional process and a sounding music that are
the same thing."

if i talked to him again i'd ask what he means by no longer giving a damn
about gradual process in music. you should go for it, maybe he was just
cranky that night. or who knows, it might piss him off again. i'd get ready
to run after you ask !

i think the best works by reich are the more process oriented, gradual
pieces, less heavy-handed.. setting up a tight system and letting it go.

cw

--
http://visuallistening.com