Re: [microsound] la france

>if I were to guess its the fact that the US economy is dangerously
>close to becoming bankrupt. at the same time the Bush re-election
>campaign is coming up.
>
>so the reason for the war might be:
>
>a) a distraction plus the Bush administration hope to add some of the
>Iraqii oil to the US hard assetts in order to be able to borrow more
>money abroad.
>
>b) just a distraction

These seem like plausible reasons.  I'd also add:

c) a bit of sabre rattling to scare off North Korea.

d) While the US couldn't care less about the Kurds,  and perhaps even
favours the suppression of the Shiites, Israel is another matter.  I think
the threat to Israel is from Iraq is something the US is far more worried
about than the threat to the rest of the world.