[ot] freeways

> then what's with all the freeways?   :)
this is an interesting question: the car industry helped dismantle (via
gov't lobbying) the public transit in LA in the early part of the 20C in
order to ensure car usage/sales in the area...
I'm not sure if this was as rampant in the Bay Area (for those fuzzy on US
geography: Los Angeles is in southern California and San Francisco is in
northern California and are separated by 400 miles) but given that northern
California also has a gaggle of freeways I'm sure we weren't spared the car
industry's manipulation tactics...

on the other hand: have you ever tried to get around using BART or the MUNI
systems? it is an unreliable, inefficient and painful way to get around San
Francisco/Bay Area...we are now just able to get to SFO via light rail from
the South Bay yet we are still waiting for the BART line to SFO...
http://www.sanbrunobart.com/Bart2sfo/News/030216.shtml

but there was someone who created an entire piece from the sound of car
tires going over a section of road on an overpass which sounded very
hypnotic...any other road music suggestions?
there was also a composer who composed a piece (James Tenney?) of the sound
of his car tires going over the Brooklyn Bridge way back in the 60's...