Re: [microsound] sleepers awake [OT!]

Have you ever considered that those 'acts of charity' you are referring
to might a) be a means to appease the nation's bad conscience, b) a means
to prolong the period of waiting for those 'poor' nations to recognize
whom they have to thank for their poverty and wherefrom to get back the
resources that were stolen from them?

This is capitalism: not interested in the social situation of poor people
(whether they happen to live in the country where capitalism blooms or
whether they live in a country whereto capitalism was exported).  As long
as capitalism keeps poor people from recognizing that their situation is
due to the same (by now) global phenomenon, as long as it keeps them
divided into nations (full of patriotism) -- it rules.

O my, am I turning Marxist after all those years?

Why should those bags of food be given to the poor people in your own
country?  They pose no threat at all to your system (because they put all
the blame on their own personal failure; they don't organize).  Moreover
if the prizes for food and shelter were lowered, capitalism wouldn't
work.  Keep the prizes high, don't give the stuff to the people in your
country for free (would ruin the prizes) but give it to other nations as
an act of 'charity'... good for the image and doesn't spoil the own
profits.

Do you really think Bush promised all those dollars for AIDS treatment in
Africa because he was concerned about the high percentage of people dying
from AIDS there?  He couldn't care less about them dying; on the
contrary, solves a few problems: just imagine they also grew up to live
and want oil...  But giving away treatment as an act of charity might
appease those you have some grave suspicions concerning wherefrom that
virus was released in the first place and for what reasons.

Sorry for being cynical, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Dagmar