[964 Natoma][Fri Feb 28] Field Effects 9: the rest of the west

As always, apologies for the cross posting.

----------[ Quiet American presents at 964 Natoma ]--------------------

Field Effects 9: the rest of the west
Friday, February 28th
Doors 8pm
964 Natoma, San Francisco, CA (USA)

$6-10 requested sliding donation,
no one turned away for lack of funds.

----> Event Description <----------------------------------------------

The world makes music, remember to listen.

Field Effects 9 offers a night of field recording-based sound art.

The ninth in a series of concerts showcasing the use of found
materials and field recordings in media art, Field Effects 9 offers a
rare evening of west coast artists working with field recordings far
far beyond our thriving Bay Area scene. Come out for an infusion of
fresh perspectives from the rest of the west coast!

Field Effects 9 features work by artists:

  climax golden twins (seattle)

    'Climax Golden Twins have released CDs and records, collaborated
    with visual artists to create installations in galleries and
    museums, and composed music for dance and film scores including
    the USA Films-produced horror film Session 9 (What! You.ve never
    seen Session 9! It had that guy in it. The one who later turned up
    on that show. And the other guy, the one with the hair. What an
    odd beast Hollywood is. The film must have been released in
    theatres for a good twenty minutes before retiring ignominiously
    to video -- though an excellent soundtrack was released on
    Milan International...).

    In 1994 CGT started the vanity record label Fire Breathing Turtle,
    with which we have released our own music, Jesse Paul Miller.s
    Secret Records and the ongoing Fire Breathing Turtle Victrola
    Favorites, devoted to music recorded directly from a collection of
    early wind up phonographs.

    Strange people and strange sounds come and go in both composed and
    improvisatory settings in our music. We are endlessly interested
    with the ways sound can be reproduced, textured, manipulated and
    transformed. Ancient acoustic machines, contemporary digital
    equipment, instrumentation, field and ambiance recordings, found
    sounds, electronics, punk rock wipeouts: they all work together in
    our music.

    The most recent Climax Golden Twins CD is entitled Lovely and was
    released by Anomalous Records in October 2002.

    For this show we will be working with a recent slew of found and
    created sounds, mixed with field recordings and subtle
    electronics.

    Bits of reviews:
    'Masters of found sound montage and oblique acoustic beauty...'
    'CGT...have garnished international acclaim for their deeply
    introspective soundscapes and noise explorations.'
    'If you ever wondered what AMM might sound like if they lightened
    up and tried to get a sense of humor, this might be the result.'
    'Minimalist structural techniques are used to build short, quickly
    shifting pieces, with their own music as well as a wide range of
    other sounds, voices, musics, noises. Trance, yeah, but with
    sudden awakenings, as well as substantial space... This is dream
    music, and fortunately, they leave the blanks for us to fill in
    (or not).'
    'Accelerated vocal loops challenge cartoony action effects,
    wailing midget sirens, schizophrenic choruses of miniature cyborgs,
    etc...  Absolutely brilliant.'

	http://www.anomalousrecords.com
	http://www.climaxgoldentwins.com

  marcos fernandes (san diego)

    Born in Yokohama, Japan, percussionist/improviser/phonographer
    Marcos Fernandes has long been active in the San Diego music scene
    as performer, producer and promoter. He is a founding member of
    the Trummerflora collective, dedicated to the experimental and
    improvisational art scene in Southern California. Fernandes has
    performed in Japan, Hong Kong, Mexico and the US. He has performed
    and/or recorded with fellow improvisers Eric Glick Rieman,
    George Lewis, Lj Quan Ninh, Lisle Ellis, Mike Keneally as well as
    with the Trummerflora collective, Donkey, Fussible, Perfektomat,
    Wormhole and Ultra 7.

    Fernandes runs the artist-based independent label Accretions,
    featuring some of today's more innovative experimentalists.
    The catalogue boasts over two dozen titles, many of which he
    produced, featuring artists such as Fred Frith, Barre Philips,
    Scott Fields to name just a few. Fernandes' recordings appear
    on Accretions, Bake/Staalplat, Pan Handler, Phonography.org,
    and World Records.

    For Field Effects 9, Fernandes will present a structured
    improvisation utilizing field recordings, samplers and processors.

    	http://www.accretions.com
    	http://www.trummerflora.com

  marcelo radulovic (san diego)

    Marcelo Radulovich is a multimedia artist whose main interests
    revolve around composition/production in audio and visual arts.
    His latest experiment is the development of sounds, words,
    visuals, and live performance for and about the legend of
    Titicacaman.

    For Field Effects 9, Radulovic will present an envolving work
    titled Thumb.  Of the piece, Philip Sherburne writes in The Wire
    (Fall 2001), '...a fluid and impressionistic ambient composition
    rich with environmental overtones. The dense swirl of sound
    approximates a dream that yields only clues with no referent:
    swirling water, footsteps, hives of voices, tangles of bells.
    Pendant harmonics fold in upon themselves, collapsing into
    blackhole drones or metallic clatter....Thumb comes over like a
    fantastic travelogue, allusive - and elusive....'

    The piece is also described at EarthEar.com: 'One of the most
    engaging releases to emerge from the deep ambient quarter,
    this disc dives into a sonic realm that is at once spooky and
    embracing. It's composed entirely of field recordings, from both
    nature and urban settings, but what sets it apart is Radulovic's
    sure hand in layering and editing. Much like Eric La Casa,
    there's an emotional resonance here that speaks to the
    unconscious; in addition, there are just enough melodic and
    rhythmic elements to color and drive the piece, without imposing
    themselves.'

	http://www.titicacaman.com/
	http://www.marceloradulovich.com/
	http://www.phonography.org/

The Field Effects series showcases artists who are interested in
framing the hidden beauty of the everyday world: beauty on the
surface, awaiting our attention. Beauty that must be delicately
extracted. And beauty in potential, awaiting juxtaposition,
collage, repetition and mutilation.

Seating mostly on futons to encourage comfortable deep listening
and viewing.

Depending on weather, hot or cold drinks will be available on a
donation-based honor system. Hopefully someone will make cookies.

----> Venue Info <----------------------------------------------------

964 Natoma
San Francisco, CA, USA

Between Mission and Howard, 10th and 11th street, south of market.
A few blocks from Civic Center BART, or the corner of Market & Van
Ness. Bike parking inside.

----> Additional Info <-----------------------------------------------

Special note: last Friday I was 'doored' by a motorist while
biking home on Market Street and broke my collarbone. As a result,
I need extra volunteers to help prep for and clean up after this show.
If you are interested in trading free admission & refreshments for
help setting up on Friday, or cleaning up on Saturday afternoon,
write me!

This message is not for print distribution or advertising.
This is a private event for friends, family and our community.

Questions? Write ghede@xxxxxxxxx