some upcomming a-naw-ing clicky news

the following to announcments are not affliated as clonk events other then
clonk resident naw will be performaning at them and well we tend to think
that these people doing these events/things are pretty nice folks...
some of these events will be happening in Montreal some in Toronto and
some on a global scale meaning you can hear it any where as ong as you
have access to a computer... so enjoy and we hope to see you out at one of
these events...or at least listening...
feel free to forward this as you wish and sorry for any doubles we are
still tring to sort out out mailing list issues...

thanks again and the full info is below...
neil aka naw
clonk artistic director

-----------------------------
Feb 21st 2003 Toronto Canada:
-----------------------------
wabi 4 year anniversary + cd release event
fri. feb. 21.. 9pm.. el mocambo.. 464 spadina (toronto)
$12 adv + before 11pm.. $16 after.. 19+
tkts> rotate this. odyssey. alter ego. penguin
we invite you to help us celebrate four years of events and the release of
our compilation cd with an evening of unique live performance pairings of
some of canada's finest electronic producers.
our distinctly packaged cd, featuring exclusive tracks from many of our
past performers, will be available this night at a special price.
"paired, sync'ed, remixing each other on the fly.."
polmo polpo vs. fwark
tomas jirku vs. naw
jacob fairley vs. pantone
adam marshall vs. dan lui
+ wabi residents: nitsuji.otaku.ozawa.task
debut CD release with exclusive tracks from:
pantone dick richards jacob fairley polmo polpo dan lui tomas jirku fwark
apparat naw kero adam marshall nitsuji ozawa
aural.visual.spatial > www.wabi.org

_______________________________
March 8th 2003 Montreal Canada:
______________________________
organic meets micro a night of reprovisation
featuring
Sam Shalabi - (Shalabi Effect,  Alien 8 recordings - Montreal)
Aiden Baker - (ARC, Piehead Records - Toronto)
I8U - (Bake/Staalplaat, Oral, Piehead Records - Montreal)
naw - (Noise Factory Records, Piehead Records - Montreal)
Saturday March 8th, 2003
Rad'a, 841 rue Gilford, Montreal
http://www.radamontreal.com/
514.522.4323
$5, tickets at the door
9pm sharp start time
----------------------
PRESS RELEASE
Rad'a Gallery presents an evening of organic meets micro music, members of
Canada's new school of improvisers meeting head to head in an evening of
improvisational micro/glitch laptop electronics and world/jazz analogue
sounds.
The analog set of the evening will feature performances by Aidan Baker and
Sam Shalabi. Aidan Baker has been a permament fixture in the improv and
electronic communities in Toronto. He is the founder of the ARC collective
and constantly perfoms throughout Toronto, solo and with various groups. Th=
recent ARC release on Toronto's Piehead Records has received glowing review=
and his various solo releases have been garnering international attention.
Aidan's music, created by mutli-layered guitar loops and drones, encompasse=
ambient, jazz, electro-acoustic, and experimental sounds. Sam Shalabi is no
stanger to the Montreal scene with his solo work and his goup, The Shalabi
Effect. His meditative, thought-provoking music shares certain similarities
in musical asthetics=A0& exploration, if not actual sound production, to th=
at
of Aidan's work.
The electronic set will feature performances by naw (Neil Wiernik) and I8U.
Better known for his experiments in the areas
of minimal techno and micro house Neil also has a long history of making
and performing improvised and experimental electronic music. His custom-mad=
applications using max/msp take the simplest of sounds and re-create them
into a feild of sound both enveloping and complex. I8U has been
experimenting with electronics for several years and her recent exploration
of laptop electronics has taken her work to new levels of exploration and
improvisation that will leave the most open minded listeners boggled.
Rad'a will be the ideal setting for these artists' diverse yet compatible
music, allowing the listener to full appreciate the complexities of their
respective sounds. Following the four solo sets, the evening will culminate
in a collaborative improvastional foursome.
where/when/how(much) :
Rad'a, 841 rue Gilford, Montreal
http://www.radamontreal.com/
514.522.4323
9pm Saturday March 8th, 2003
$5, tickets at the door

Biographies:
Aidan Baker
http://listen.to/aidan
Aidan Baker is a Toronto-based musician & writer. A
classically-trained=A0multi-instrumentalist, he is currently focused on the
deconstructive possibilities of the electric guitar. Baker has released
several albums, as a solo artist & with various ensembles, on such=A0labels=
,
among others, as Piehead (Canada), Public Eyesore (US), & Blade Records
(Italy). His music ranges from &/or encompasses ambient, experimental,=A0
electronic(a), post-rock/pop, & avant-jazz. He is also the author of two=A0
books of poetry, Fingerspelling (Penumbra Press) & Wound Culture (Unbound=
=A0
Books).
I8U
http://www.i8u.com
I8U's musical path is rather special. From classical music to the blues, it=
=A0
took only one chance meeting with David Kristian to get her involved in=A0
electronic music. I8U has participated in various music & new technology=A0
festivals across Canada & Europe, such as Silophone (Montr=E9al, 2000), Mut=
ek=A0
(Montr=E9al, 2001), Le Festival de Musique Actuelle de Victoriaville (2002)=
,=A0
Ver Uit de Maat (Rotterdam, 2002). Her CDs have been released on Canadian &=
=A0
European labels, (bake/staalplaat, Oral, Piehead Records) including
a=A0collaborative piece with Goem (Amsterdam). She regularly presents
solo=A0performances & often collaborates with Martin T=E9treault & David
Kristian & Magali Babin. I8U's particular interest in music, sound & Web ar=
allowed her to produce her first Web art project, Obstacle, which was
presented as part of P=E9riph=E9rique, a laboratory curated by Nicole Gingr=
as &
created in collaboration with the Groupe Intervention Vid=E9o (Montr=E9al,
2001). A second Web art project, I S =DC was presented at the Mus=E9e du Qu=
=E9bec
in the fall of 2002 in the context of the Web art exhibit "Ellipse". This
event was curated by Val=E9rie Lamontagne and included 5 other Canadian
artists.
naw
http://www.noisefactoryrecords.com/naw.htm
Recently transplanted from Toronto back to his Montreal birthplace, Neil=A0
Wiernik is a media artist turned electronic music composer who began
creating electronic music in 1988. Wiernik is known to push the boundaries
of his musical form - from designing new or manipulating existing
sound=A0making devices & software to creative uses of production environmen=
ts
&=A0 sound sources. Though his composition & production styles are diverse,
he=A0 keeps a central focus throughout all his production: experimentation.
Neil has a long history of both group & solo electronic music projects
including work with The Crystal Methodists & Ph=FFcus before settling into
his=A0 current project naw. In terms of solo work, Neil has released music
under=A0his given name & under the naw pseudonym on various national &
international=A0 record labels. Neil's recent work is a hybrid deconstructi=
on
of all musics found in the vacinity of his ears.
Sam Shalabi
http://www.shalabieffect.com/
Sam Shalabi is the most active player in Montreal's blossoming improv
scene.=A0 Over the last couple of years has been documented on releases by
Shalabi=A0 Effect, Detention, Molasses & A Silver Mt. Zion. Shalabi has pla=
yed
or=A0collaborated with the likes of Evan Parker, Alexandre St-Onge, David=
=A0
Kristian, Tim Berne, Charles Papasof & Frank Gratkowski among others.

March 11th 2003 www.club246.com :

10pm to midnight Level4 Radio presents
Sarcastic - DJ - level 4 resident - Montreal
naw - Live Pa - Noise Factory, Piehead, Clonk - Montreal