Re: [microsound] akufen

>>hell akufens music isnt all that orignal radio has
>>been used as source material for music for nearly 100 years...
>>that doesnt make what he does any more or less homogenious then any one
>>lese making music using computers and laptops...
>
>i don't know neil.  i hear a lot of very similar sounding music these days
>coming from laptops.  since he went more into the radio cut up thing I've
>thought that akufen sounds a lot like todd terry, but if you put either one
>of their records on the turntable I could identify the artist right away.
>they have a sound that they've made their own.  all of the best music I
>know has this character... and very little of the electronic music.
>
>bbn

Original??? I dont mean that in a negitave way, its just saying that because
someone samples radio, they are not orignal kinda misses the point. Akufen
samples radio and turns it into something else thats alot of fun to listen
to, that is what makes it original. He is orginial in his ability to conjure
funk and mix it with beats and twist it all up utilizing UAO's pulled from
invisible radio waves. Akufen appeares to be a master of form in the genra
he enlists, and funks it the fuck up. Sometimes an artist just manages to
make something that really hits a chord with the collective mind, I dont
think it is a random thing, I am sure if you look into akufens past, all the
stones are there leading up to "My way", fuck the title is a decleration of
independnce in a over saturated world of electronic tones. Is "My Way"
anything that will last into the next few years??? we shall see. But its fun
to listen to right now, right? They have already re-designed the art work
for the cd cover, what the fuck was that about??? Did they not consider the
art important to begin with?

Ok maybe I am an asshole, sorry. But I think lets not look at the radio or
process for orginality, but as akria used to say "the proof is in the
pudding". But personally I find process extremly fascinating, that and
ideas, but it takes an experinced artist to be able to balance form and
concept, one will never out weight the other.

God I should not drink beer and reply to microsound list messages. Akufen is
fun, but its not the only thing out there...

-Scott "Ishmel and the apes" Allison