Re: [microsound] differential

on 2/28/03 11:52 AM, Kim Cascone at kim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> I understand that sound designer used to have a function whereby it
>> would compare two files and write the difference between them as a file.
=20
> I did something similar with my 'residualism' CD where I took a soundfile=
,
> made a copy, processed the copy slightly, inverted the copy, mixed it wit=
> the original and then normalized the resulting file...it reveals some ver=
> interesting material...
=20
Hi,

That sounds cool.I have a program(freeware) called MarcoHack wich does
something similar.I've pasted the specs sheet into this mail but I don't
remember the url where you can find it but just search for MarcoHack it's
worth it;)

albert

MarcoHack

MarcoHack is a sound processing program for Macintosh PPC computers
developed by Marco Pranger at the Institute of Sonology, The Hague.

Using a SoundHack-style interface, sound files may be processed in a number
of ways:
=80 The main feature of the program is a technique for separating an audio
signal into something which is called a source or excitation signal and a
resonance characteristic or filter. The excitation signal and resonance
characteristic are saved to separate files; the excitation signal is saved
as a normal audio file (AIFF) and the resonance characteristic is saved as =
file format which can only be used by the program itself.
Within the program it is possible to recombine an excitation signal with an=
resonance characteristic of your choice in order to create 'hybrid' sounds
which combine distinct properties of two different sounds into one. These
'hybrid' like sounds can have a very strong quality of their own.
Furthermore, the program features a series of techniques for processing the
resonance characteristic itself, for example a technique which creates a
crossfade between two resonance charcateristics.
=80 An improved technique for convolution which results in a better sound
quality in comparison to normal straightforward convolution techniques.
=80 A technique for stretching sounds in an unfamiliar way which is described
by Trevor Wishart in his book Audible Design (Orpheus the Pantomime 1994).
=80 Several techniques for altering the harmonics of a sound which are also
described by Wishart, like stretching the spectrum in an unfamiliar way or
thinning the number of harmonics in the spectrum.

All processing techniques are explained in detail in the user manual (PDF)
which is included with the program.

Comments can be sent to mpranger@xxxxxxxxxxx