Re: [microsound] sea of homogeneity

> never goes away and is exacerbated by a consumerist economy whose top
> entertainment media is now 'Reality TV'...the laptop medium is possibly more
> rife with homogeneity because of the method of production and distribution
> (computer/internet) made more noticeable  by its presence and
> availability...

One of the fundamental things I realized about 'Reality TV' quite early
is it in general is not very (or at all) reliant on writing. I think the
game show staffs of the network are responsible, right? The hope of
course is a situation is set up where the generated material winds up
being of interest rather than a specific work is first conceved, refined
and then realized.

I do see a parallel. Not that being made on a laptop necesarily
parallels the the above, but it can in many cases.

I also feel that the thrill of the process and discovery that a person
producing music goes through when substantially assisted by software
that primarily generates or recombines often is seductive enough that it
leads to acceptance of anything that at first glance that seems
compelling enough.

In other words, in this situation one doesn't tend to have very specific
compositional goals they are aiming for, rather they hope to set up a
situation or adjust an application that a work can be captured from.  It
stands to reason that as the specific creative individual is less
involved with determining the outcome since its been made into an
automatic process to some degree, that the result good or bad becomes
more homogenous.

nicholas d. kent