Re: [microsound] The Aesthetics of Noise

Thanks for that, informative article.  He mentions however, Russolo as
the first musician to consciously use "noise" in his music.  That's
probabaly true in the strict sense of the term "noise".  But I was
delighted to find a few years gao -- by chance -- a 17th century
composer, Jean-Féry Rebel (1666-1747) who composed a piece called "Les
elemens" (The elements).  For the first movement - "Le Cahos" - he wanted
to "depict" chaos in music.  Of course, he could only do it with
classical instruments.  But he comes very close to, well, not directly
noise, but a cluster of sounds so to speak.  I found that very remarkable
for the time, although it was not done as music for music's sake but in
order to "represent" something; chaos, as he imagined it.

If someone in the list could point out other early "experimentalists" I
would be very interested.

Yours,

Dagmar