Re: [microsound] "Academic" computer music?

At 5:29 PM -0800 3/6/03, ph!L @ c e n t i b e l wrote:

>Some of the composers Bill mentioned, like Pauline Oliveros, aren't
>exactly what I think of as computer music, since I don't think
>computers are used much, if at all.

I have great difficulty thinking of Pauline as an "academic"
composer! Her music has remained remarkably non-academic and
individualistic for the past forty some-odd years.

She does use computers and digital processing in much of her music
and has done for nearly twenty years.

Similarly, I'd never consider Xenakis an academic composer - he's
pretty much sui generis.  Subotnick, too, is pretty much his own man
despite a long-standing "day gig" at CalArts.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com
http://RZCybernetics.com