Re: [microsound] war

i like your list but didn't nobel invent dynamite?

On 24/03/2003 at 13:36 Dominic Lanzone wrote:

:::::dear spw,
:::::
:::::i was really struck by your question about what pacifists have done=
 for
:::::humanity.
:::::here is a very very small, and very incomplete list of some famous
:::::'fruit
:::::cake' pacifists:
:::::Buddha
:::::Jesus
:::::Gandhi
:::::Martin Luther King
:::::Mother Teresa
:::::Cheif Seattle
:::::the Dalai Lama
:::::Henry David Thoreau
:::::Leo Tolstoy
:::::Pablo Picasso
:::::Immanuel Kant
:::::Emma Goldman
:::::John Lennon
:::::Albert Einstein
:::::Albert Schweitzer
:::::bell hooks
:::::Alfred Bernard Nobel
:::::Nelson Mandela
:::::Bertrand Russell
:::::
:::::
:::::this is just a small list of the top of my head.
::::: if you do not know what they did for humanity, i suggest you get down
:::::your local library , or look them up on the internet, and learn about
:::::them.
:::::
:::::the world is a scary unpredictable place sometimes, and you are right,
:::::suffering is at some point inevitable. often when confronted with
:::::suffering, we humans use violence to try to regulate and 'control' it.
:::::violent acts feel immediate and 'real', they give us a sense that
:::::something
:::::concrete is being done. and this is a very seductive feeling when we
:::::are
:::::confronted with a fearful loss of control in the world. funny thing=
 is,
:::::violence begets only violence, so instead of 'controlling' the
:::::violence of
:::::things like 9-11 and Saddam, we end up amplifying it and creating more
:::::and
:::::more violent and chaotic situations. creating more and more suffering
:::::in
:::::the world.
:::::a concrete example of this is how Saddam would not even be in power
:::::now if
:::::the U.S. had not backed him in the past and supplied him with some of
:::::the
:::::same weapons and training he is now using against our troops. who is
:::::to say
:::::that the new regime we install after we 'get rid' of Saddam will not
:::::end up
:::::being the same kind of problem later on?
:::::you know, one of the definitions of insanity is doing the same thing
:::::over
:::::and over and expecting different results.
:::::
:::::Peace,
:::::Dominic
:::::