Re: OT[microsound ] war -- TRYING TO Do Some Homework

Listen,
I was simply making some remarks about information which I acquired and
asked a simple question that has yet to be answered (which article does
it state that you can't attack a sovereign nations). There is no need to
stab me with my illiteracy. I know I can't read. Just like everyone else,
I'm trying to come to grips with this war, trying to attain the 'facts' if
possible.

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, tobias c. van Veen wrote:
> I remain continually amazed by a lack of ability to go out and do some
> research here. To all this ongoing debate: try doing some fact digging, some
> information recovery. Back-and-forth debates about Geneva Conventions,
> useless PBS publicity pieces and so on wastes everyone's time. I know this
> might sound a little authoritarian if not scholarly, but try Google, and try
> Reading. It works, believe me.

The pbs special also talked about hussein visiting the US embassy often
and how he was liked by the US at one time, so it seems that pbs enjoys
mixing fact and falsehoods.

> As for the below post -- if this is indeed what PBS claimed, this is a
> series of false claims that fly in the face of fact.
>
> The _US trained Al Qaeda_ -- as fighters against Iran. Just like the US
> backed Iraq in the war against Iran. Hussein was a US puppet for many years;
> he was liked by the US, they helped him build his various weapons programs.
> This is not controversial. This is known history, and is well documented in
> Noam Chomksy's book, "9/11" for example, as well as US State Dept. records.

I thought that too. I could not understand the connection between Al
Queada and Iraq considering their opposing views between secular and
fundementalist. However, if one wishes to be trained in something like
clandestined military operations, fundemental viewpoints don't need to be
the same, do they? (I remember the Hamas working in line with the KKK at
one point;  I'm sure they don't like each other , but i'm sure they don't
like Jews more). Regardless of the reasons, I'm not stating that Bush/US
has had the right to do what they did, I'm simply trying to understand the
situation(s).

> As for bin Laden, he _hates_ Iraq, for bin Laden backed the
> fundamentalists--ie, Iran! In his last video, he condemned not only the US
> but Iraq. Both are secular states. CNN carried text stating this until it
> was quickly changed and the bit against Iraq erased -- so this dubious
> connection between Al Qaeda and Iraq can be conjured out of the hot air of
> the desert -- just like those forged documents...

Thank you for the added information, I will read them, although I noticed
that almost all the links are from the same web site, hence a single bias.
One should be careful about that. Though I do admit that Chomsky is one of
the most enlightening political thinkers out there.

Take care,
Mark .k