Re: [microsound] Re: OT[microsound ] war/evolution/technology

on 3/26/03 3:12 PM, pelagius pelagius at pela_gius@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> If war has been a part of the evolution of human history, the obvious next
> step in our evolution is to completely eliminate war.  You can't one minute
> argue that animals fight wars, so wars are natural and then the next minute
> speak of human evolution.  So which is it?  Are we merely animals or can we
> evolve to a higher state?

humans are animals, and everything is in a process of evolution.

> In regards to technological advancements you draw an incorrect conclusion as
> well.  The bomb was created not by war but by the decision to apply a lot of
> money and human resources (brainpower) to the problem.

The Atom bomb was a result of the escalating conflict of World War II.
America was trying to develop a new weapon to give them a strategic
advantage.
You fail to mention that at the the research into devoting the Atomic bomb
was kept
classified.

>  Buckminster Fuller
> wrote a lot about this.  The two greatest scientific achievements of mankind
> (maximum innovation in minimum amount of time) were the atomic bomb and
> putting a man on the moon.

Both were a product of war, look how America viewed Russia during the cold
war which
helped fuel the space program.

> Both of these achievements were brought about by
> the conscious application of massive resources toward these specific goals.
> Fuller poses the question of what could mankind accomplish were we to apply
> these same levels of intellectual resources at more noble problems like
> ending hunger, homelessness, etc.

The problem with this is people do not want to give up thier old system of
beliefs.