(ot) re: Kontakt (prevent a grown man from crying please)

Just bought Kontakt yesterday, thinking I could
download Pro Tools Free and record Kontakt's audio into
Pro Tools. Well, I downloaded Pro Tools Free last night
and it turns out Pro Tools Free doesn't work with my
operating system (Windows XP), and now I can play with
Kontakt to my heart's content, but the only way I can
think to record it is by going out to DAT and then
importing that back into my laptop.  Will do, but is
time consuming.  So, is there anyone on this list using
Kontakt and Windows XP that can recommend something
like Pro Tools (preferably with a demo that I can
download) that will enable me to record.  Will Logic
Audio Platinum 4.5 do that?  The Kontakt manual says
LAP 5 *will*, but I only have 4.5, and that's only
because a friend on this list was kind enough to send a
copy my way, and I've never come to grips with how to
use LAP.  I'm ready to tear my hair out over this, cos
I'm enjoying Kontakt, but it's pretty useless if I have
to record to DAT and then import that back in to my
laptop in order to have it available for further
processing.  Also, I can open up VSTs of Reaktor in
Ableton Live, but, though I've got the .dll of Kontakt
in my VST folder for Ableton, it won't let me open
that.  I've tried reintstalling Kontakt to no avail.
Any and all help much appreciated:
andrewduke@xxxxxxxxxx  Thanks in advance. A very
frustrated Andrew.

albums out now: Sprung (http://bip-hop.com)
*Canadian electronica album of the year nominee*
More Destructive Than Organized
(http://staalplaat.com)
Highest Common Denominator (http://pieheadrecords.com)
Physical and Mental Health (http://dialrecords.com)
74'02 (split with Hypo) (http://tsunami-addiction.com)
check Cognition (http://techno.ca/cognition)
for upcoming appearance and release updates