RE: [microsound] shades of grey

Hello.
I mostly lurk, but this is a topic of personal interest.

Working with digital media(or any media for that matter) I find that there
are many gray areas concerning ownership and authorship.

Perhaps I am just restating previous posters, but my opinion is that
sampling audio/code/images is fair game as long as you are using it as a
building block to express something new. I think much of it depends on
intent.

It's important to give credit to those who have done much work, but I also
don't think an exhaustive list of citations for each musical work is
necessary. A good dividing line is how much work/ideas you, as the author
have put into the finished product. That will be reflected in the final
product, regardless of source material, but if you take something wholesale,
just be honest about it. Personally, I am in favor of a community that
shares and shares alike in order to expand the collective vocabulary and
palette.

In a practical manner, I would say that 'emailware' is a good solution. If
you use someone elses product in your own, send the author an email stating
what you have done. I figure it is better to be upfront than to have them
find out later and feel ripped off.

OK, perhaps I am rambling a bit here, its late, and my ambition for this
email outshined my actual mental capacity for right now, but I am sure the
conversation will continue tomorrow, it has been very interesting so far.

jonathan c. tobin   (   jt@xxxxxxxxxx   )
badzen, la          (   www.badzen.com  )
phone               (   310.841.6002    )