Re: [microsound] Concert and field recording: MD a good idea?

aaron is right, i am a dildo.  i do use automatic gain control because i forgot
how to manually adjust the levels.  must fish out the manual again.  i hope
that works.. it's a portable unit too.  sorry to mislead anyone!

> > if you have, say, guitar in one side and drums in another, you are
> probably
> > going to experience drops and surges in the volume which sound really
> shitty.
> > for example, if the drums start hitting loudly, the guitar volume
> will
> > subsequently be cut with the drum peaks.  the end result is often
> lurching,
> > uneven, and generally a piece of shit.
>
> I've never had this problem doing stereo recordings using half a dozen
> (?)
> different consumer decks ~ did you disable 'automatic gain control'
> (aka
> auto record level)?
>
> AGC attempts to 'ride' the levels during recording and should pretty
> much
> always be turned off for field/concert recording... in most decks
> (especially Sonys) it must be explicitly de-activated before every new
> recording.
>
>  aaron

scissors for sparrow
http://home.pacific.net.au/~transmit