Re: [microsound] DRONES

------=_NextPart_000_19A5A_01C3098D.D26578D0

I'm suprised no one has yet mentioned La Monte Young (or maybe I missed
the mention). His recordings are hard to come by, but there is a catalog
at http://melafoundation.org/catalog.htm .

Tony Conrad is also known for the drone. (ho ho). Arguably, it was he
who was responsible for introducing La Monte Young to just intonation
(pure tuning ratios). A recent set of CD's called Early Minimalism
features some string drone works from 1965. Highly recommended.

Speaking of Just Intonation, Pauline Oliveros' music uses drones played
on a purely-tuned accordion. Some CD's she did with the Deep Listening
Band are recorded in an abandoned water cistern in Washington State with
a reverberation time of 45 seconds! Nice.

For long reverb, you could also check out the Canadian "silophone"
(www.silophone.net). An abandoned grain silo with excellent acoustics.
Many people have performed there, from sound poet Jaap Blonk to Canada's
[the user] (of "Symphony for Dot Matrix Printers" fame).

Phill Niblock merits mention here, and fortunately, more and more of his
music is being released. Check out his label:
http://www.experimentalintermedia.org/ .

Brian Eno's "Thursday Afternoon". Maybe kind of sappy for some people,
but it's an hour-long drone piece with sparse bell-like tones over top.

Finally, some of my favourite drone stuff is a kind of music for the
Scottish Highland bagpipe known as piobaireachd (prounounced "peeb -
rock"). These are long, very slow and very "minimal" (though still
highly virtuosic) pieces, usually either laments or salutes, with a
highly intricate theme and several systematic variations. Up until
recently, there were very few recordings, but I've recently seen some
imports available on amazon. I actually also wrote a piobaireachd myself
(did I mention my middle name is Angus?); I can dig it out post it if
anyone's interested.

May the drone be with you,

Phil