OT - good essays on science fiction?

although this related to my thesis work in ethnomusicology, my question
has more to do with science fiction than music: i was wondering if there
are any excellent essays on the web dealing with the origins of science
fiction as a distinct genre? i'm particularly interested in the ways in
which people began to think of the Future as something quite different
and distinct than their own present, the compression of time, the
acceleration of history, that sort of thing, depending on how one look's
at it. there's a lot of stuff dealing with specific works, but nothing
in general, about how and why sci-fi came into being... any help or
suggestions here would really appreciated!

thanks
graham