Re: [microsound] arranging & the like

>"it doesn't matter so much
> what you do as an artist, but it matters a whole lot how you do it."

I mostly agree with you.  Most of the time the finished product is sort of
a description of the process.  If it's not, then I consider myself a
failure and I try again.  To that extent I think it matters very much what
I do.  If the intent isn't clear (or intentionally unclear) then all I've
done is add a little noise to the pool of thought and experience.

Artists have many jobs.  I think one of them is to take parts of
experience and strip them of their noise, put them in the light.  If an
artist's focus is only on the process then they are missing the process.
We see something, or hear it or feel it and then try and create it and
that's the process.  If we just make things for the sake of making them,
without a desire to see or hear or feel or purge, etc., then we're just
going throught the motions of making art, we become craftsman.

So basically, I think that 'what' and 'how' in terms of art are
inextricably linked, if not the same thing entirely.

peace